Silver Linings Out of Dark Times
Despite being the kind of person that is happy to stay at home and away from others, I tend to struggle if this way of life is forced upon me. Summers without my friends or that one semester I only took online classes have ways of wearing me down. And at first, the COVID pandemic was no different. I found myself with little to occupy my mind with and the inability to see or talk to other people, even if just in passing.
Recently, though, things have begun to change. My online classes began and allowed me to learn about topics that I really care about, as well as expose me to new books during a personal renaissance of returning to reading. Perhaps as a result, I have also jump-started my pursuit of applying to graduate school. This has meant asking myself some tough personal questions (as well as answering some tough questions for the GRE) about what I want my future to hold. But it also means that I get to explore new topics and disciplines that bring me great joy. Finally, and most recently, I have gotten back in contact with an old friend and started playing tennis for the first time since my high school team almost 3 years ago. Yes, the pandemic is still in its first wave, but I think we can all agree that tennis is not the most in-your-space sort of sport. Plus, exercise and getting outside are more valuable than gold (would oil be a more apt metaphor?) during these times.
While I look forward to the days when we no longer have to live in fear, I am happy with the improvements that have been made to my current situation. I hope that anyone reading this is living as well as they can, and staying safe and responsible in the meantime.

Hey Nick,
ReplyDeleteThank for sharing your current situation in regards to COVID. I think almost all of us can agree that this new way of life isn't ideal. I'm usually someone who likes to go out to public places with my friends and family so not being able to do that since all of this happened has been rough. I'm glad you are still staying active with tennis! It is always nice to have something to take our minds off the hardships we are facing right now. I play soccer but that has been limited ever since March. Nice to meet you Nick! Good luck these next 6 weeks.
Hello Nick,
ReplyDeleteI am happy you found a hobby that you enjoy such as tennis. Before the pandemic, I used to love traveling with my family but now I am just making the best at home. I’m exercising at home everyday to stay fit and positive. I found videos online that helped me get a workout routine. I know, as you mentioned, how hard it was being without friends. I had few friends at college who I had great time with but now I am more closer to my family at home than before the pandemic. These moments with with the loved ones that live with you are very important.
Hi,
ReplyDeleteWhile for many, or everyone, this pandemic is very problematic, there definitely are some bright sides, you just have to look for them and find them. Which it seems like you have, meeting up with old friends, reading, getting ahead on graduate school applications are all things that might not have happened if it were not for the pandemic. Other great activities to keep you busy and distracted could be cooking, I have been spending the time in quarantine, besides taking classes and reading as well, learning how to cook my favorite meals that I never learned to make because my mom just always made them for me.
Hello Nick,
ReplyDeleteThis is Mary Jones.
I'm glad that you found a silver lining during these dark times. You sound like an optimistic college student. I am usually a solo type of person and I cool with that just like you are. But at the same time, being solo is a different ballgame
when this national shut-down is forced upon us.
I see that you have made good use of your time be reconnecting with your friend and playing tennis. I can agree with that exercise and being outdoors for a little is good for the soul. Speaking of silver linings, since the pandemic I have being going for morning walks about four or five days a week. I wish you well and much success on your pursuit of applying for graduate school.
Hello Nick,
ReplyDeleteThis is Mary Jones.
I'm glad that you found a silver lining during these dark times. You sound like an optimistic college student. I am usually a solo type of person and I cool with that just like you are. But at the same time, being solo is a different ballgame
when this national shut-down is forced upon us.
I see that you have made good use of your time be reconnecting with your friend and playing tennis. I can agree with that exercise and being outdoors for a little is good for the soul. Speaking of silver linings, since the pandemic I have being going for morning walks about four or five days a week. I wish you well and much success on your pursuit of applying for graduate school.