Of all the subjects that I could discuss, I thought I would start with my major, since it is not everyday that you meet a Human Geography and Global Studies student. You also probably had no idea that that was a major, nevertheless one at SDSU.
Human Geography is a social science that looks at people and social issues through a spatial lens. Think of it a bit like Anthropology, Sociology, a bit of physical science and a bit of information science/ statistics all melted together.
My class schedule can include classes with names like "Food Justice" or "Latin America" or "Geographic Information Systems" or, my favorite so far "Environment and Development".
That last one has really been the most important to me, because it has driven me in a direction I would never really expect. Development studies look at how different societies develop and how we can assist those that are struggling in this current landscape. I really enjoy this because we get to look critically at capitalism, neoliberalism and structures of violence.
For that class, and on that subject, I wrote an academic paper that is currently being edited about economic outmigration from Pakistan. Needless to say that that was not what I expected to be doing when I was leaving high school.
I hope to continue these studies in the future by going to graduate school for Human Geography or International Development. We will see!

Hi Nick! Thank you for sharing with us your love for Human Geography and Global studies! I have never met anyone with this major so it is really interesting to hear about. Your major is a big part of who we are as people and what we value. Its so cool to hear you could narrow down the type of category/topic you are most interested in. I also have to go to graduate school for my major. Applying to Grad school is very nerve wracking! Good luck.
ReplyDeleteLauren